12 Maya Angelou Quotes That’ll Inspire You To Be A Better You [Motivation]
American poet, author, and civil rights activist Maya Angelou passed away today at the age of 86 (1924-2014). She was an icon and a legend, and absolutely brilliant at providing perspective and dropping bombs of piercing wisdom.
Here are 12 of her most prolific quotes, all of which are massively inspiring, motivating, and thought-provoking; touching on everything from life, success, and personal strength to people, love, and relationships. As always, they’re done with charisma, personality, and style.
1. “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.”
2. “Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option.”
3. “Nothing will work unless you do.”
4. “I’ve learned that you shouldn’t go through life with a catcher’s mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back.”
5. “I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.”
6. “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.”
7. “History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, however, if faced with courage, need not be lived again.”
8. “I’ve learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way (s)he handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.”
9. “We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.”
10. “Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.”
11. “Modesty is a learned affectation. It’s no good. Humility is great, because humility says, ‘There was someone before me. I’m following in somebody’s footsteps.”
12. “When you know better, you do better.”
ELLO ELLO I'm Bryan DiSanto.
I'm the Founder & Editor-in-Chief of Lean It UP
, a CPT/CSN/Fitness Coach, Chef trained at Le Cordon Bleu – Paris, NYU graduate, ex-fat kid
, and all-around fitness junkie.
I also contribute to Men's Health Magazine
When I'm not working on my abs (or somebody else’s), whipping up avocado roses
and avocado toast, or running a Tough Mudder, I'm probably yelling at a Carolina Panthers game somewhere.
Come be friends with me on Snapchat (BRYDISANTO)
Latest posts by Bryan DiSanto (see all)
Follow Lean It UP on Twitter
for real-time fitness/nutrition tips, advice, info and updates.