Brighten Up Your Day With An Antioxidant-Pumped Build-Your-Own Acai Bowl [Recipes]
For anyone that frequently navigates the juice bar scene, you’ve probably noticed one exotic concoction spreading across menus like purple wildfire — the gorgeous, majestic acai bowl.
If you have absolutely no idea what an acai bowl is, or if you’ve never sunk a spoon into its velvety deliciousness, you’re about to experience a divine culinary revelation.
Acai bowls are an explosive geyser of pure, mouthgasmic nutrition. They’re constructed on the back of the acai berry — an Amazonian “superfruit” that’s heralded (and often overhyped) for its massive antioxidant content; the highest among any non-spice in the world at 102,700 μ mol TE/100g.
Take those berries in frozen form, blend ‘em all up, dump on a layer of uber-toppings, and voila, you’ve got a decadent (and gorgeous) vat of deliciousness that’s glistening with fiber, antioxidants, omega-3s, vitamins, and even protein.
Before you storm Juice Generation, we’ve got a little pro tip for you: stop dropping $10-12 per bowl and make them at home. Acai bowls are the easiest “health food” you’ll ever make, you just need one key ingredient — frozen acai smoothie packs, which run roughly $5 per 4-pack (you need 2 per bowl) at most grocery stores.
Got your packs? Okay good. Use our stupid easy recipe to churn out a silky smooth Build-Your-Own Acai Bowl in 5 minutes flat — they’re THE perfect breakfast, snack, or post-workout fuel source.
How To Build A Bomb Acai Bowl
Prep Time: 5 Minutes | Servings: 1 Acai Bowl
Acai Bowl Base:
- 2 packets frozen acai, unsweetened (we like Sambazon)
- 1/2 cup coconut-almond milk (or insert any non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 banana
- *TRANSFORM IT INTO A PROTEIN BOWL. Add 1 scoop chocolate protein powder — acai is naturally chocolate-y, so chocolate protein works especially well. You can also use unflavored/vanilla for a different flavor.
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 2 tbsp. cacao nibs
- 2 tbsp. goji berries
- 1/4 cup granola
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1. Put the frozen acai, milk, banana, and protein powder (if you want it) into a blender.
- 2. Blend on high until it forms a thick puree. Make sure it’s smooth and fully blended.
- 3. Pour out into your bowl of choice.
- 4. Top with cacao nibs, goji berries, granola, coconut flakes, 1/2 banana (sliced), chia seeds, and a scoop of almond butter. Feel free to customize it and add/remove ingredients.
- 5. EAT.
ELLO ELLO I'm Bryan DiSanto.
I'm the Founder & Editor-in-Chief of Lean It UP
, a CPT/CSN/Fitness Coach, Chef trained at Le Cordon Bleu – Paris, NYU graduate, ex-fat kid
, and all-around fitness junkie.
I also contribute to Men's Health Magazine
When I'm not working on my abs (or somebody else’s), whipping up avocado roses
and avocado toast, or running a Tough Mudder, I'm probably yelling at a Carolina Panthers game somewhere.
Come be friends with me on Snapchat (BRYDISANTO)
Latest posts by Bryan DiSanto (see all)
Follow Lean It UP on Twitter
for real-time fitness/nutrition tips, advice, info and updates.
[instagramy name=brydisanto style=default info_pos=top info_layout=1 shape=square size=70 media=10 layout=grid link=file columns=5 speed=3000 effect=blindX window= 1 logo= 1 info= 1 ]
References, Notes, Links