The Monday Shuttle (8/25) — Fitness & Nutrition News, Happenings, And Other Cool Things From Around The Web
Image: Jawbone Blog
Get caught up after the weekend hangover. From the latest news, studies, and happenings, to hot new recipes and other random cool things, we’ve got a rundown of the latest info to jumpstart your week ahead.
- Jawbone’s data scientists looked at sleep data and quantified the effects of the Napa earthquake by looking at Jawbone UP activity. It reportedly woke up 93% of UP wearers located in Napa, Sonoma, Vallejo, and Fairfield at approximately 3:20 AM — all within 15 miles of the epicenter. We’re sending our best to anyone impacted. (Jawbone Blog)
- Gluten-free now actually means gluten-free. Tighter FDA labeling requirements officially went into effect earlier this month, which requires any foods labeled “gluten-free” to have virtually undetectable levels of gluten (<20 parts per million) and no wheat, rye, or barley. Make sure you’re eating GF for the right reasons, though. (CNN)
- A new report advises that pregnant women should avoid ALL canned tuna due to high mercury content. Normal people should limit it, too. (Consumer Reports)
- 45 varieties of almond butter were recalled—including Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, and MaraNatha—due to potential Salmonella contamination. Triple check to make sure your cabinet’s clean. (FDA.gov)
- Yet another study—this time a Canadian study published in the British Journal of Nutrition—confirms that almonds boost heart health. For every 1 oz. increase in daily almond consumption, participants reduced their 10-year CHD risk score by 3.5%. Almond butter is an awesome option, too. (PRNewswire)
- Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Latte (PSL) is officially out of hibernation today, about one month too early. Which is terrifying and insulting to summer. Here’s an early reminder that you shouldn’t be chugging one. (Fox News)
ELLO ELLO I'm Bryan DiSanto.
I'm the Founder & Editor-in-Chief of Lean It UP
, a CPT/CSN/Fitness Coach, Chef trained at Le Cordon Bleu – Paris, NYU graduate, ex-fat kid
, and all-around fitness junkie.
I also contribute to Men's Health Magazine
When I'm not working on my abs (or somebody else’s), whipping up avocado roses
and avocado toast, or running a Tough Mudder, I'm probably yelling at a Carolina Panthers game somewhere.
Come be friends with me on Instagram (@BRYDISANTO)
& Snapchat (BRYDISANTO)
Latest posts by Bryan DiSanto (see all)
Follow Lean It UP on Twitter
for real-time fitness/nutrition tips, advice, info and updates.