Airports are a dietary deathtrap.
For anyone who’s following a strict diet or obsessed with their nutrition, airports work a lot like quicksand. They’re stealthy and slowly suck you in, and before you even realize it, you’re suddenly helpless, stuck without any clean options in sight.
Once beyond the TSA gates of hell, most people chalk it up as a loss and resort to McDonalds, Shake Shack, and other fast food nonsense.
Don’t get caught in that situation. Go into travel frenetic and unprepared and your diet will spontaneously combust in an instant. But fortunately, eating clean, lean, and healthy in an airport isn’t difficult if you prepare for the onslaught ahead of time.
There are a ton of quality options that pass TSA unscathed and can fuel even the longest fights. Here are 5 of my go-to snacks, bars, and in-airport food strategies to navigate airport chaos and eat clean, lean, and healthy regardless of where you’re jet-setting off to.
1. Load Up Your Carry-On With Protein-Jacked Snacks
If cooking isn’t your thing, or you just don’t have the time, no worries. Get in the habit of stocking up on portable, uber-lean, protein-jacked snacks. Literally, order a case of each from Amazon and shove them into your carry-on. It’s the simplest solution ever.
TSA steals all liquids, so protein shakes are out. But traveling, and flying in particular, is the #1 spot where protein bars excel.
Their convenience is unparalleled, and as long as you’re picking a quality protein bar that’s clean, natural-ish, and not loaded with sugar, they make an extremely lean meal replacement on-the-go.
Here are a few of my go-to protein bars, protein-heavy snacks, and clean, nutrient-rich snacks that I always keep stocked for long flights. Plus, bonus points, it’s always cheaper to buy food ahead of time. Airports gouge you with absurdly inflated prices on just about everything
Most are available on Amazon:
- Quest Bars
- Power Crunch Bars
- RX Bars — whole food, dairy free protein bars courtesy of protein from egg whites. Absolutely love how clean these are and devoid of artificial crap.
- Raw Crunch Bars — our #1 ranked snack/energy bar. They’re delicious, uber-clean, and loaded with protein, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals.
- Health Warrior Chia Bars — our #3 ranked snack/energy bar. Powered by chia, they’re a great source of clean fuel and energy.
- LARABARs — easy way to shoot yourself up with fruit and healthy fats. Good source of vitamins and minerals, without any added sugar.
- EPIC Bars and Bites — think clean jerky, in a ton of fancy flavors. They come in both bar and bite form.
- Justin’s Almond Butter Squeeze Packs — awesome source of healthy fats in tear-open, single serve packets. Especially delicious on top of Quest bars.
- Calbee Snapea Crisps — savory, crunchy, high in protein and fiber, sans sodium.
- Almonds, walnuts, pistachios, other nuts — always available in any Hudson News. Great clean source of healthy fats and protein. Just avoid any nuts with sugar added.
- KIND Bars — solid source of healthy fats and protein. Easy to find pretty much anywhere if you’re in a bind.
- Chobani yogurt — great source of protein that’s available at most Hudson News locations. They also pass security.