[Recipes] Crispy Lemon Pepper Kale Chips
Drop the popcorn, pita chips, and/or Brad’s Kale Chips. Health up your snack game with our quick and easy recipe for Crispy Lemon Pepper Kale Chips — an unbelievably simple, surprisingly delicious twist on typically-boring kale. And yes, they actually — miraculously — taste incredible to go along with their powerhouse nutrition. Plus you won’t have to drop $7.99/box.
In sub-15 minutes, kale chips come out of the oven delicately crisp, light and airy, and exploding with multi-layered flavor that’s underscored by tongue-crackling spiciness. And if you’re heat-averse (or a thermophobe), they’re versatile and completely customizable. Try the recipe naked with salt, pepper and olive oil; dressed up with garlic, cumin, and paprika; or cheesed up with a little shaved parmesan. Get creative.
Loaded with vitamins A, C, & K, fiber, fiber, and healthy fats, they’re a guilt-free, savory indulgence and a must-add to any health-monster’s culinary arsenal.
Crispy Lemon Pepper Kale Chips — Ingredients:
- 1 bunch of kale — it also comes pre-cut. Feel free to use more for a bigger batch.
- Red pepper flakes — you can also use cayenne.
- Fresh lemon juice
- Olive oil — about 1 tbsp per bunch.
- Sea salt and pepper
Crispy Lemon Pepper Kale Chips — Directions:
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 12-15 minutes | Servings: 1
- (1) Preheat the over to 325º.
- (2) Using a salad spinner or paper towels, make sure that the kale is extremely dry. Damp kale won’t come out crispy.
- (3) Cut/rip the kale into small pieces. Remove all of the stems and veins — you only want the leaves.
- (4) Place the kale in a large mixing bowl and toss lightly with a drizzle of olive oil (~ 1 tbsp/bunch), a big squeeze of fresh lemon, a dash of sea salt, cracked pepper, and roasted red pepper flakes. More red pepper = a much spicier recipe. You can also use a Ziploc bag.
- (5) Spread the kale out flat on a baking sheet. Try not to stack the leaves.
- (6) Pop in the oven and cook for 12-15 minutes. Check it after 12 minutes — if they’re dry and crispy, they’re done. If not, keep them in for a few more minutes and check periodically.
Crispy Lemon Pepper Kale Chips — Nutrition:
*Makes 1 large batch. Serving size will vary depending on the amount of kale used. Sample nutrition facts are for 1 cup of kale.
- Calories — 100
- Total Fat —9g
- Carbs — 7g
- Fiber — 3g
- Protein — 2g
- Vitamin A — 354%
- Vitamin C — 89%
- Vitamin K — 1,328%
- Potassium — 8%
- Iron — 6%
Follow Lean It UP on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest for real-time fitness/nutrition tips, advice, info and updates.
ELLO ELLO I'm Bryan DiSanto.
I'm the Founder & Editor-in-Chief of Lean It UP
, a CPT/CSN/Fitness Coach, Chef trained at Le Cordon Bleu – Paris, NYU graduate, ex-fat kid
, and all-around fitness junkie.
I also contribute to Men's Health Magazine
When I'm not working on my abs (or somebody else’s), whipping up avocado roses
and avocado toast, or running a Tough Mudder, I'm probably yelling at a Carolina Panthers game somewhere.
Come be friends with me on Snapchat (BRYDISANTO)
Latest posts by Bryan DiSanto (see all)
References, Notes, Links