[Recipes] Mint Chocolate Chip FIEND? Blend Up The Maca Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Blizzard
HOLY MINT CHOCOLATE MOUTHGASM.
Mint chocolate chip fiends, rejoice. The Maca Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Blizzard is an uber-lean, nutrition-packed, refreshing way to energize any day or fuel up post-workout with a silky smooth, velveteen shot of pure bliss.
And it’s absolutely delicious. Like how-can-this-possibly-be-healthy good.
The Maca Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Blizzard deploys a lineup of pure, au naturel ingredients — including bananas, fresh mint, whey protein isolate (WPI), and coconut almond milk — to produce a RUSH of lean, physique-chiseling, full-blown ab fuel. But it’s two key uberfoods that distinguish the MMCCPB and jack its nutritional prowess up to elite levels:
- Raw Cacao Nibs: Raw cacao is one of the world’s most potent antioxidants, including a heavyset surge of flavonoids and polyphenols. It’s loaded with fiber, protein, iron, magnesium, and a variety of other trace minerals. More impressively, raw cacao is the most concentrated source of theobromine — a stimulant and vasodilator (and an alkaloid) that can improve blood flow and energy levels. Studies suggest that cacao can boost heart health, improve BP + cholesterol levels, and potential increase fat breakdown.
- Maca Powder: Maca is a root — originally eaten by Incan warriors — that’s been shown to provide a non-caffeinated burst of energy and stamina, boost libido, improve memory, and fight depression, anxiety, and stress (AKA it’s a mood enhancer). It’s also purported to impact sex hormones, and there’s some evidence to suggest it boosts testosterone levels. Maca is admittedly UBER strong and tastes terrible on its own, but blended into a smoothie it adds an extra layer of flavor and an element of frothiness.
What pours out is an invigorating, fat-slashing protein smoothie that’s geysering with 44g of protein, 15g of fiber, antioxidants, iron, and a ton of other minerals, all for a svelte 400 calories + 15g of sugar.
Or split it in half for 2 mini super smoothies. Geeeeeeeeet it.
The Maca Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Blizzard — Ingredients
*Makes 1 BIG smoothie. Feel free to split it up into 2.
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut almond milk (I use Califia Farms) — or choose any other milk variety as a base.
- 1.5 scoops chocolate or unflavored whey protein (I use NOW unflavored) — chocolate and unflavored powders both work, but they’ll each produce a smoothie that’s more/less chocolate-y. Use our protein powder guide if you’re looking to buy a jug. You can also adjust this # up/down depending on your own protein needs.
- 1 banana — use a frozen banana for a creamier smoothie.
- 3.5 tbsps. raw cacao nibs (I use Healthworks) — blend in 2.5 tbsps; mix in 1 tbsp. afterwards.
- 1 tsp. maca power (I use Navitas Naturals)
- 1 tbsp. Metamucil Fiber Powder (unflavored) — an effortless way to boost fiber content, control blood sugar, and promote heart health.
- 10 whole mint leaves
- 3 ice cubes
- *Optional — if you want it to be REALLY minty, throw in a drop of peppermint extract.
The Maca Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Blizzard — Make It
Time: 2 minutes.
- (1) Throw everything in a blender. Only add 2.5 tbsps. of the cacao nibs.
- (2) Blend. If you’ve got a variable speed blender, like a Vitamix, start on low and work your way up slowly to top power.
- (3) Mix in the leftover 1 tbsp. of cacao nibs — this gives the smoothie a delicate crunch.
- (4) Chug.
- Calories — 450
- Total Fat — 6g
- Carbs — 45g
- Sugar — 15g
- Fiber — 15g
- Protein — 44g
- Vitamin B12 — 50%
- Vitamin D — 25%
- Vitamin E — 45%
- Calcium — 65%
- Magnesium — 40%
- Potassium — 20%
- Iron — 25%
Follow Lean It UP on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest for real-time fitness/nutrition tips, advice, info and updates.
ELLO ELLO I'm Bryan DiSanto.
I'm the Founder & Editor-in-Chief of Lean It UP
, a CPT/CSN/Fitness Coach, Chef trained at Le Cordon Bleu – Paris, NYU graduate, ex-fat kid
, and all-around fitness junkie.
I also contribute to Men's Health Magazine
When I'm not working on my abs (or somebody else’s), whipping up avocado roses
and avocado toast, or running a Tough Mudder, I'm probably yelling at a Carolina Panthers game somewhere.
Come be friends with me on Snapchat (BRYDISANTO)
Latest posts by Bryan DiSanto (see all)
References, Notes, Links