[Recipes] Blend Up A Little Summer With The Piña Colada Protein Smoothie
Blend up a little summer. And then let it erupt out of a pineapple.
If you’re an aficionado of A) all coconut everything, B) palm trees and beaches, C) umbrella drinks, and/or D) fun, get pumped. And if you’re not, we’ve clearly got bigger issues to address. Just in time for the sweltering summer heat, we’ve mixed up an uber-delicious, leaned up twist on the traditional piña colada — including all of the mouthgasmic, tropical taste, plus a bonus explosion of protein.
Unlike traditional piñas, which can net out at 655 calories in liquid damage, our version pours out at a svelte 195 calories; with 17g of protein and 100% vitamin C to boot. It’s unadulterated, bikini-friendly ab food that you can legitimately feel guilt-free about chugging; whether that’s as a post-workout meal, quick-and-easy snack, or energizing breakfast.
And yes, this is a rum-friendly zone. Feel free to toss in a shot and transform it into a full-blown uber-cocktail.
Pour it in a pineapple or coconut (or shaker bottle), hoist a mini umbrella, and get ready to hit your beach. You’ll instantly be transported to a VERY lovely place.
The Piña Colada Protein Smoothie — Ingredients
*Makes 1 HUGE piña colada, or 2 normal-sized smoothies.
- 1 cup coconut almond milk — I like Califia, but feel free to choose your favorite brand. Sub pure almond milk or coconut milk if needed.
- 1 scoop vanilla or unflavored protein powder (I use NOW unflavored) — any vanilla or unflavored variety works; use our protein powder guide if you’re looking to buy a jug.
- 1.5 cups pineapple
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 container coconut-flavored Greek yogurt — I like siggi’s skyr, Chobani, Liberté, or Oikos.
- 1/3 tsp. rum extract — or throw in a shot of rum.
- 1/3 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 ice cubes
The Piña Colada Protein Smoothie — Make It
Time: 5 Minutes.
- (1) Throw everything in a blender.
- (2) If you’ve got a variable speed blender, like a Vitamix, start on low and work your way up slowly to top power.
- (3) Let it sit for 5 minutes. It allows the flavors to settle, mix, and mellow out.
- (4) If you want to be especially awesome and festive, pour it into a carved out pineapple or coconut.
- (5) Chug.
- Calories — 196
- Total Fat — 2.7g
- Carbs — 21g
- Sugar — 18g
- Fiber — 2.5g
- Protein — 17g
- Vitamin B12 — 25%
- Vitamin C — 100%
- Vitamin D — 13%
- Vitamin E — 22%
- Calcium — 33%
- Potassium — 7%
ELLO ELLO I'm Bryan DiSanto.
I'm the Founder & Editor-in-Chief of Lean It UP
, a CPT/CSN/Fitness Coach, Chef trained at Le Cordon Bleu – Paris, NYU graduate, ex-fat kid
, and all-around fitness junkie.
I also contribute to Men's Health Magazine
When I'm not working on my abs (or somebody else’s), whipping up avocado roses
and avocado toast, or running a Tough Mudder, I'm probably yelling at a Carolina Panthers game somewhere.
Come be friends with me on Instagram (@BRYDISANTO)
& Snapchat (BRYDISANTO)
Latest posts by Bryan DiSanto (see all)
Follow Lean It UP on Twitter
for real-time fitness/nutrition tips, advice, info and updates.