[UPWOD Nº13] The Shoulder Shredder Workout — Shoulders & Abs
*UPWODs are Lean It UP’s Workout of the Day. For more info on UPWODs, how to do them effectively, and what they’re all about, read the introductory guide before starting.
**You can find all of our previous UPWODs here.
SHRED UP YOUR SHOULDERS.
Because of their velocity, explosiveness, and tendency to rely on movement, shoulder workouts are typically the most intense of the week.
UPWOD Nº13 takes that principle and puts it on steroids.
The Shoulder Shredder Workout moves FAST. And it burns like hell. It leverages a circuit of supersets, drop sets, and explosive power exercises to shock the shoulders, hammer all three deltoid muscles—an aspect that’s critical for building round, cannonball shoulders—and ignite a deep, searing sizzle that’ll tear up your shoulders and arms.
It’s a metabolic, fat-blasting workout that’ll help you add width, roundness, and sexy striations to your shoulders; and secondarily, it effectively crushes the abs and core.
Dive in like Michael Phelps and unleash the burn.
[UPWOD Nº13] The Shoulder Shredder Workout —
Shoulders & Abs
Bonus info for each exercise:
- 1. [SUPERSET] Dumbbell Shoulder Press + Reverse Dumbbell Flies — for the dumbbell shoulder press, stay seated and lower the dumbbells down until your triceps are parallel to the ground. For reverse flies, bend over at a 45º angle and raise both arms up in line with your collarbone. Hold at the top for .5s and release down.
- 2. [SUPERSET] Upright Rows + Front Plate Raise — for upright rows, grab the barbell with a narrow grip and pull up to your face. Keep your elbows high. For front plate raises, raise overhead to a full extension and then lower back down to your thighs.
- 3. [DOUBLE DROP SET] Lateral Raises + Front Raises — Do 1 set of lateral raises and then immediately drop the weight by 50% and do a second set. Once completed, immediately do a regular set of front raises followed up by a second set at 50% of the weight.
- 4. [SUPERSET] 1-Arm Kettlebell Squat & Press + Kettlebell Swings — for the KB squat and press, hold a kettlebell in one arm, squat down, explode up, and press the kettlebell overhead. Stay as straight as possible and maintain a tight core. For swings, keep your back flat and core tight. The kettlebell should come down through your legs and swing up to eye height.
- 5. Land Mine Twists — load a barbell and anchor it in a corner, land mine attachment, or the center of a weight plate. Grab the end of a barbell with two hands and hold it directly overhead. Without moving your feet, keep your arms straight and lower the barbell down to your right side. Contract your rear deltoids and obliques, and pull the barbell up overhead to the opposite side. 1 twist to the right AND left = 1 rep.
- 6. [CIRCUIT SET] 1/2 KB Turkish Get Ups + Planks + Ab Sprinters + Swiss Ball Ab Crunches + Swiss Ball Ab Jackknives — do all exercises back-to-back as quickly as possible. For 1/2 turkish get-ups, lay on the floor and hold a kettlebell up over your chest. Press into the floor with your opposite arm, contract your abs, and sit all the way up. For ab sprinters, lay flat and explosively lift your torso and one knee together (lead with the opposite elbow). Alternate sides for 15 reps each. For swiss ball ab jackknives, start in push up position with your feet on a ball. Keep you upper body stationary, contract your lower abs, and pull the ball into your chest.
- 7. [BURNOUT] Arnold Press — choose a light weight that lets you do up to 20 reps. Rotate your arms in the middle of the movement on the way up and down. You should be holding the dumbbells with an underhand grip at the bottom and an overhand grip at the top of each rep.
ELLO ELLO I'm Bryan DiSanto.
I'm the Founder & Editor-in-Chief of Lean It UP
, a CPT/CSN/Fitness Coach, Chef trained at Le Cordon Bleu – Paris, NYU graduate, ex-fat kid
, and all-around fitness junkie.
I also contribute to Men's Health Magazine
When I'm not working on my abs (or somebody else’s), whipping up avocado roses
and avocado toast, or running a Tough Mudder, I'm probably yelling at a Carolina Panthers game somewhere.
Come be friends with me on Instagram (@BRYDISANTO)
& Snapchat (BRYDISANTO)
Latest posts by Bryan DiSanto (see all)