*UPWODs are Lean It UP’s Workout of the Day. For more info on UPWODs, how to do them effectively, and what they’re all about, read the introductory guide before starting.
**You can find all of our previous UPWODs here.
Happy Friday. It’s LEG HAMMER TIME.
Today, we’re shooting straight with an intense, power-hungry LEG DAY. UPWOD Nº14 forgoes sophisticated supersets and circuits, and instead, focuses heavily on a sequence of compound, power leg exercises.
It follows a traditional, straight set cadence and an ascending pyramid protocol. That sounds fancy, but it’s really simple in practice: start light on set 1 and gradually increase the weight during each successive set. Naturally, you’ll decrease the reps as well.
For barbell squats, that could look like:
- Set 1: 145 lbs x 15
- Set 2: 180 lbs x 12
- Set 3: 205 lbs x 10
- Set 4: 225 lbs x 8
- Set 5: 245 lbs x 6
Your goal is to progressively lift as much weight as possible—with quality form—and arrive at the highest number you can for at least 5 reps.
That’s it. One sole focus. Lock in, blast away, and push your body to power HIGHER.
Do that and you’ll successfully obliterate your legs and butt, challenge your core, and send sweat streaming off. Finish the week with a vengeance.
[UPWOD Nº14] The Pyramid Protocol Leg Workout —
Legs & HIIT
Bonus info for each exercise:
- 1. Barbell Squats — increase the weight and decrease the reps in every successive set. Get as low as possible.
- 2. Barbell Front Squats — rest the barbell on your shoulders and secure it with your hands crossed (or wrists bent back). Keep your core tight and stay as upright as possible.
- 3. Romanian Deadlifts — maintain a slight bend in your legs and slowly slide the barbell down your legs. Go as low as possible without arching your back. Press up through your butt and hamstrings.
- 4. Goblet Squats — hold a dumbbell at neck height throughout. Squat down until your quads are below parallel, explode back up.
- 5. Dumbbell Lunges — standard lunges. Press up through your hamstrings and butt.
- 6. Dumbbell Hip Thrusts — lie with your upper back on a bench so that you’re perpendicular to it. Hold a dumbbell on your pelvis, lower your butt down, and then explode up as high as possible. Squeeze your butt and core at the top and hold for 1s.
- 7. Stairmaster Blaster HIIT — the Stairmaster Blaster HIIT workout is available and downloadable here. If you don’t have a stair mill, do the incline treadmill HIIT workout from UPWOD Nº1 (10% incline, 3 MPH/8-10 MPH for 45 second intervals). Do it for 10 minutes.