[UPWOD Nº15] The Chest & Core Crusher Workout — Chest & Abs
*UPWODs are Lean It UP’s Workout of the Day. For more info on UPWODs, how to do them effectively, and what they’re all about, read the introductory guide before starting.
**You can find all of our previous UPWODs here.
Like most Mondays, we’re launching the week with an uber-intense chest workout. Shocker.
But unlike most chest slam sessions that concentrate predominantly on POWER and pushing as much weight as possible, UPWOD Nº15 focuses heavily on building muscular endurance and stamina throughout your chest.
UPWOD Nº15 is an intense, endurance-based chest and core workout that uses drop sets and super sets to burnout the chest and spark new growth. It immediately ignites a deep, excruciating burn throughout the chest with a triple dropset—three crushing sets back-to-back—and continues to push the sizzle with a knockout combo of supersets and burnout sets. RAWR.
You’ll then finish everything off with a killer core circuit that attacks the core and builds the entirety of the abs.
It’s a hard-hitting, burn-inducing way to start your week. Go light your chest up in a blaze of glory.
[UPWOD Nº15] The Chest & Core Crusher Workout —
Chest & Abs
Bonus info for each exercise:
- 1. [TRIPLE DROP SET] Dumbbell Chest Press — each drop set consists of multiple sets of the same exercise, back-to-back, using weights that are progressively lighter. Do 12 reps of the dumbbell chest press with your typical weight. Immediately drop the weight, grab dumbbells that are ~50% of the weight used in your first set, and do 12 additional reps. Drop a third time and do 12 more reps (or as many as possible). That’s 1 full drop set.
- 2. [SUPERSET] Incline Dumbbell Chest Press + Dumbbell Push Ups — for the incline DB chest press, set the bench to a 45º angle. For DB push ups, position 2 dumbbells upright so that they’re standing tall. They should be slightly wider than shoulder width. Place your hands on top of the dumbbells and lower down to a full extension.
- 3. [SUPERSET] Cable Crossovers + Cable Woodchoppers — for cable crossovers, set the cables so that they’re in the center of your chest. Lean forward slightly and pull the handles in to center. SQUEEZE your chest in the middle and release back up. For woodchoppers, position the cable in the middle of your torso. Keep your arms straight throughout.
- 4. [SUPERSET] Dumbbell Pullovers + Dumbbell Flies — for pullovers, lay on top of a bench so that you’re perpendicular. Keep your upper back pressed against the pad and your hips raised. Lower the dumbbell overhead as far back as it can go and press back up through your chest, triceps, and lats. For flies, rotate so that you’re flat on the bench. Lower both dumbbells down until your arms are parallel with the ground. SQUEEZE at the top.
- 5. [BURNOUT] Machine Chest Press — choose a weight that lets you do 12-20 reps. Push until failure on both sets.
- 6. [CIRCUIT SET] Ab V-Ups + Planks + Bicycle Crunches + Flutter Kicks + Oblique Scissor Crunches — do all exercises back-to-back as quickly as possible. For flutter kicks, don’t let your feet touch the floor.
ELLO ELLO I'm Bryan DiSanto.
I'm the Founder & Editor-in-Chief of Lean It UP
, a CPT/CSN/Fitness Coach, Chef trained at Le Cordon Bleu – Paris, NYU graduate, ex-fat kid
, and all-around fitness junkie.
I also contribute to Men's Health Magazine
When I'm not working on my abs (or somebody else’s), whipping up avocado roses
and avocado toast, or running a Tough Mudder, I'm probably yelling at a Carolina Panthers game somewhere.
Come be friends with me on Instagram (@BRYDISANTO)
& Snapchat (BRYDISANTO)
Latest posts by Bryan DiSanto (see all)