[UPWOD Nº16] The BUILD-A-BUTT Leg Workout — Legs & HIIT
*UPWODs are Lean It UP’s Workout of the Day. For more info on UPWODs, how to do them effectively, and what they’re all about, read the introductory guide before starting.
**You can find all of our previous UPWODs here.
Mentally prepare yourself for a lower body volcano from hell.
UPWOD Nº16 is volume-based leg workout that specifically focuses on the butt. It leverages a series of squats, lunges, and other movement-oriented exercises that emphasize the glutes and hamstrings, and relentlessly attacks the region from a variety of different angles for a comprehensive, intensifying burn from start-to-finish.
You’ll push weight, move explosively, and challenge your lower body across a gauntlet of movement patterns en route to the finish line.
If you’re looking to build a bigger, fuller, perkier butt, this is your secret sauce. But fair warning: it burns like all hell and you’ll crawl out with legs that wobble-dy wobble-dy wop.
Go get dat booty.
[UPWOD Nº16] The BUILD-A-BUTT Leg Workout —
Legs & HIIT
Bonus info for each exercise:
- 1. Barbell Squats — range of motion is critical. Squat down as low as possible and hold the bottom for 1 second.
- 2. Barbell Split Squats — step one leg forward into a staggered stance. Hold that position (don’t step back until the set is over) and lunge forward into your front leg. Press up and focus all of the tension in your butt and hamstrings. Do 12 reps, step back, and switch.
- 3. Kettlebell Sumo Deadlifts — step out into a WIDE stance. Like, really wide. Place a kettlebell in between your legs. Keep your core tight and back flat, bend down, and raise up to a full stand. The motion is identical to a deadlift, except that you’ll drive the movement primarily with your hamstrings and butt. Lower down slowly.
- 4. Barbell Hip Thrusts — slide under a barbell so that it’s across your pelvis and lie back so that your upper back is propped up on a bench or box (perpendicular to it). Lower your butt down, and then explode up as high as possible. Squeeze your butt and core at the top and hold for 1s. Use the heaviest weight possible for 15 reps.
- 5. [SUPERSET] Goblet Squats + Air Squats — for goblet squats, hold a dumbbell at face height. Once finished, immediately drop the weight and do 30 air squats without any weight. For both exercises get as LOW as possible and hold at the bottom for 1 second.
- 6. 4-Way Box Lunges — grab a box or bench (about 18″). These work in 4 parts — do 15 lunges onto the box in front of you with each leg (30 reps); stand to the right of the box and do 15 SIDE lunges with your left leg; stand to the left of the box and do 15 SIDE lunges with your right leg. That’s 60 total reps as quickly as possible. Hold dumbbells or kettlebells if possible.
- 7. Stairmaster Blaster HIIT — the Stairmaster Blaster HIIT workout is available and downloadable here. If you don’t have a stair mill, do the incline treadmill HIIT workout from UPWOD Nº1 (10% incline, 3 MPH/8-10 MPH for 45 second intervals). Do it for 10 minutes.
ELLO ELLO I'm Bryan DiSanto.
I'm the Founder & Editor-in-Chief of Lean It UP
, a CPT/CSN/Fitness Coach, Chef trained at Le Cordon Bleu – Paris, NYU graduate, ex-fat kid
, and all-around fitness junkie.
I also contribute to Men's Health Magazine
When I'm not working on my abs (or somebody else’s), whipping up avocado roses
and avocado toast, or running a Tough Mudder, I'm probably yelling at a Carolina Panthers game somewhere.
Come be friends with me on Snapchat (BRYDISANTO)
Latest posts by Bryan DiSanto (see all)