*UPWODs are Lean It UP’s Workout of the Day. For more info on UPWODs, how to do them effectively, and what they’re all about, read the introductory guide before starting.
**You can find all of our previous UPWODs here.
Pound your back and biceps with UPWOD Nº20.
Our 20-spot is a comprehensive, pump-tastic, body-blasting back and biceps workout. AKA your standard pull session. It links together a combination of mass-building rows that push the back through a long, exaggerated range of motion and stimulate the entirety of the back.
Form, range of motion, and powerful ascension are all MAJOR KEYS.
It then finishes strong with a trifecta of direct biceps exercises that hammer the arms, elicit a bubbling pump, and work to develop a high peak, strong forearms, and a thick brachialis. Because the biceps are leveraged heavily for rows and almost all back exercises, it’s a fantastic one-two punch to slap on mass and definition throughout your arms.
Before starting, I’ve got a BONUS LOGISTICAL SIDE NOTE. From UPWOD Nº20 forward, I’ll be providing alternative exercises that you can do in-home with resistance bands and dumbbells so that everyone can blast through the UPWODs, regardless of what type of setup you’re working with.
If you don’t have resistance bands, I use and recommend Black Mountain’s set.
And per usual, if you have any questions, fire away on Twitter/Snapchat/Insta.
[UPWOD Nº20] The Back & Biceps Mass Bomb Workout —
The grey column provides substitute exercises that you can do in-home with resistance bands (RBs) and dumbbells so that everyone can blast through the UPWODs.
If you don’t have resistance bands, I use and recommend Black Mountain’s set. If you need dumbbells, I love the Bowflex SelectTech 552 adjustable dumbbells.
**Bonus info for each exercise:
- 1. Bent-Over Barbell Curls (Underhand) — standard motion, but with an underhand grip to hit the biceps.
- 2. [SUPERSET] Pull Ups + Lat Pushdowns — do both exercises back-to-back. Sub pull ups with lat pull downs if needed.
- 3. Pendlay Rows — they’re similar to bent-over barbell rows, but you’ll A) row up into your upper back and B) rest the barbell at the bottom of every rep, similar to a deadlift. They’re a power exercise, explode up and pull the bar into your chest. Bend-over so that your back is flat-to-slightly arched.
- 4. Kettlebell Deadlifts — same motion, but with a wide stance. Squeeze your butt and lower back and explode up.
- 5. 1-Arm Dumbbell Rows — lower all the way down to the floor and pull the dumbbell up back toward your hip. Rotate a 1/4 turn at the top of each rep to expand the RoM. STRETCH your lats at the bottom.
- 6. Barbell Drag Curls — drag the barbell up along your torso into the bottom of your chest. MAJOR KEY: pull your elbows back behind your torso. Squeeze at the top.
- 7. [TRIPLE DROP SET] Incline Dumbbel Curls — the bench should be at 45º. Keep your elbows back and lower to a full extension. Do 10 reps, drop the weight by 50%, do 10 additional reps, drop the weight again by 50% and do 10 final reps. That’s ONE drop set.
- 8. [BURNOUT] Rope Biceps Curls — use a cable rope attachment. Choose a moderately heavy weight and rep out until failure. Rest for 30-45 seconds and repeat. Pump out as many reps as possible.