*UPWODs are Lean It UP’s Workout of the Day. For more info on UPWODs, how to do them effectively, and what they’re all about, read the introductory guide before starting.
**You can find all of our previous UPWODs here.
Push it forward.
UPWOD Nº21 is fast-paced, high-volume leg workout that specifically pushes the emphasis forward, targets the quads, and actively chisels out the front half of your legs.
Unlike most of our leg workouts that demand heavy weights and huge movements, the QUAD-FORCE Leg Workout uses speed, explosiveness, and volume, hits the quads like a scalpel, and exhausts the lower body with a variety of training methods and tactics.
You’ll blast through a murderous gauntlet of lunges and squats, each of which incorporates a unique training element to blast and burnout the quads, including things like: explosive vertical burst, slow burning eccentric movements, extended RoM, and quick-hitting cardio movements.
And if that wasn’t enough, UPWOD Nº21 finishes strong and brings the quicksand with a bout of our leg-churning Stairmaster Blaster HIIT.
Get after it and claim your quad-force glory.
[UPWOD Nº21] The QUAD-FORCE Leg Workout
The grey column provides substitute exercises that you can do in-home with resistance bands (RBs) and dumbbells so that everyone can blast through the UPWODs.
If you don’t have resistance bands, I use and recommend Black Mountain’s set. If you need dumbbells, I love the Bowflex SelectTech 552 adjustable dumbbells.
**Bonus info for each exercise:
- 1. Jump Lunges — lunge forward, explode up into the air, and land on your opposite foot. Immediately lunge forward and repeat. Try to move as quickly as fluidly as possible.
- 2. Barbell Split Squats — step one leg forward into a staggered stance. Hold that position (don’t step back until the set is over) and lunge forward into your front leg. Press up and focus all of the tension in your butt and hamstrings. Do 12 reps, step back, and switch.
- 3. Goblet Squats — hold the weight up by your face and resist the pull to hunch forward. Get as low as possible.
- 4. Bulgarian Split Squats — keep the top of your foot anchored on a bench, chair, or platform. Your toe and knee should be roughly aligned in your front foot.
- 5. 4-Way Box Lunges — grab a box or bench (about 18″). These work in 4 parts — do 12 lunges onto the box in front of you with each leg (24 reps); stand to the right of the box and do 12 SIDE lunges with your left leg; stand to the left of the box and do 12 SIDE lunges with your right leg. That’s 48 total reps as quickly as possible. Hold dumbbells or kettlebells if possible.
- 6. Slow Burn Elevated Lunges — use a step or short platform that’s 6-12″ in height. It shouldn’t be very high. The motion is the exact same as a lunge, except that you’ll DRAG your lunge out slowly for 5 seconds on the way up and 5 seconds on the way down. Maintain constant tension and don’t let your knee touch the floor.
- 7. Leg Press — standard machine leg press. Aim for 15-20 reps.
- 8. Stairmaster Blaster HIIT — the Stairmaster Blaster HIIT workout is available and downloadable here. If you don’t have a stair mill, do the incline treadmill HIIT workout from UPWOD Nº1 (10% incline, 3 MPH/8-10 MPH for 45 second intervals). Do it for 10 minutes.