*UPWODs are Lean It UP’s Workout of the Day. For more info on UPWODs, how to do them effectively, and what they’re all about, read the introductory guide before starting.
**You can find all of our previous UPWODs here.
We’re back after a long Labor Day weekend. Consider this your power detox.
To get back into it, we’re unleashing a simple, muscle-blasting, fat-incinerating leg workout. UPWOD Nº24 is a quintessential leg workout that covers all of the basic power movements—squats, lunges, split squats—and pushes you to lift as much weight as possible.
Your goal is simple: Go big, go heavy, let the sweat pour off, and blast the life out of your muscle fibers.
You’ll tear up your quads and hammies, blast your butt, and unleash sweat waterfalls along the way; all en route to a perkier butt and stronger legs.
It then finishes with an ab-blasting core circuit. Run the circuit through 3 TIMES until your abs feel like they were punched in the gut by Mike Tyson. It’s total ab annihilation.
Jump in and get after it.
[UPWOD Nº24] The Pummelhorse Leg Workout
The grey column provides substitute exercises that you can do in-home with resistance bands (RBs) and dumbbells so that everyone can blast through the UPWODs.
If you don’t have resistance bands, I use and recommend Black Mountain’s set. If you need dumbbells, I love the Bowflex SelectTech 552 adjustable dumbbells.
**Bonus info for each exercise:
- 1. [SUPERSET] Barbell Squats + Barbell Calf Raises — do both exercises back-to-back.
- 2. Dumbbell Lunges — standard lunges. Go heavy and aim for 12 reps/leg.
- 3. Bulgarian Split Squats — keep the top of your foot anchored on a bench, chair, or platform. Your toe and knee should be roughly aligned in your front foot.
- 4. Dumbbell Hip Thrusts — lie perpendicular to a bench. Place a dumbbell/kettlebell on your pelvis, dip your hips down, and then thrust all the way up. Hold and squeeze at the top for 1 second.
- 5. Leg Press — standard machine leg press. Aim for 15 reps.
- 6. Cable Crunches — do 15 reps down the center and then 12 reps to the left & right to hammer the obliques. SQUEEZE your abs at the bottom of each rep.
- 7. [CIRCUIT SET] Planks + Bicycle Crunches + Ab V-Ups + Reverse Crunches + Side Planks + Oblique Scissor Crunches — do each exercise back-to-back as quickly as possible, without rest.