[UPWOD Nº27] The Antagonistic Arm Assault Workout — Biceps & Triceps
*UPWODs are Lean It UP’s Workout of the Day. For more info on UPWODs, how to do them effectively, and what they’re all about, read the introductory guide before starting.
**You can find all of our previous UPWODs here.
Finish your week with a full-scale arm assault.
UPWOD Nº27 is an intense, muscle-pounding arm workout. It exclusively leverages antagonistic supersets — a type of superset that includes two exercises from opposing muscle groups back-to-back, which when done correctly, amplifies and strengthens the contraction of the second exercise.
Each superset combo includes 1 exercise that hammers the triceps and a 2nd that blasts the biceps, for a one-two punch that burns out the entirety of the arms.
Because you’re using separate muscles for each exercise, it allows the intensity to stay elevated while physically increasing your strength during the second set.
It’s a powerful, advanced tactic that produces a killer burn — and killer results.
[UPWOD Nº27] The Antagonistic Arm Assault Workout —
Biceps & Triceps
The grey column provides substitute exercises that you can do in-home with resistance bands (RBs) and dumbbells so that everyone can blast through the UPWODs.
If you don’t have resistance bands, I use and recommend Black Mountain’s set. If you need dumbbells, I love the Bowflex SelectTech 552 adjustable dumbbells.
**Bonus info for each exercise:
- 1. [SUPERSET] Preacher Curls + Overhead Dumbbell Triceps Extensions — do both back to back. For Preacher Curls, lower the barbell down to a full extension. For OH Triceps Extensions, lower the dumbbell behind your head until your triceps are at 45º. Squeeze at the top.
- 2. [SUPERSET] Close Grip Bench Press + Dumbbell Curls — d0 b0th back to back. For the CGBP your hands should be slightly more narrow than shoulder width.
- 3. [SUPERSET] Incline Dumbbell Curls + Dumbbell Skull Crushers — do both back to back. For Incline DB Curls, set the bench to 45º.
- 4. [SUPERSET] Diamond Push Ups + Chin Ups — for Diamond Push Ups, form a diamond with your hands and press up with your triceps. Swap out Chin Ups with Underhand Lat Pulldowns if necessary.
- 5. [SUPERSET] Rope Hammer Curls + Cable Triceps Extensions — use a rope attachment for the Hammer Curls; use a straight bar attachment for the Cable Triceps Extensions.
ELLO ELLO I'm Bryan DiSanto.
I'm the Founder & Editor-in-Chief of Lean It UP
, a CPT/CSN/Fitness Coach, Chef trained at Le Cordon Bleu – Paris, NYU graduate, ex-fat kid
, and all-around fitness junkie.
I also contribute to Men's Health Magazine
When I'm not working on my abs (or somebody else’s), whipping up avocado roses
and avocado toast, or running a Tough Mudder, I'm probably yelling at a Carolina Panthers game somewhere.
Come be friends with me on Snapchat (BRYDISANTO)
Latest posts by Bryan DiSanto (see all)