[UPWOD Nº28] The Six-Pack Abs Obliteration Workout — Abs & HIIT
*UPWODs are Lean It UP’s Workout of the Day. For more info on UPWODs, how to do them effectively, and what they’re all about, read the introductory guide before starting.
**You can find all of our previous UPWODs here.
GET READY FOR LIFT OFF.
Launch your week with an abdominal vengeance. UPWOD Nº28 is an ab-blasting, core churning, six-pack building workout that hammers the core, tightens the region, and draws out each individual ab muscle.
It methodically weaves through the abs and hammers the rectus abdominis, obliques, lower abs; works to chisel out a razor sharp V-cut; and relentlessly squeezes the transverse abdominis—your inner abs—to suck everything in like a vacuum.
Do each exercise in order, as a circuit, with as little rest as possible. It’ll keep the intensity sky high and maintain a strong caustic burn throughout the abs.
Whether you’re looking for a little six-pack tune-up or you’re shooting for next-level abs, it’s an advanced, challenging ab workout that’ll push your core to its limits.
And to really spice things up, Nº29 is capped off with a fat-blasting HIIT grand finale.
CHURN THAT CORE LIKE BUTTER.
[UPWOD Nº28] The Six-Pack Abs Obliteration Workout —
Abs & HIIT
The grey column provides substitute exercises that you can do in-home with resistance bands (RBs) and dumbbells so that everyone can blast through the UPWODs.
If you don’t have resistance bands, I use and recommend Black Mountain’s set. If you need dumbbells, I love the Bowflex SelectTech 552 adjustable dumbbells.
**Bonus info for each exercise:
- 1. [CIRCUIT SET] Hanging Leg Raises + Reverse Crunches — if you can’t do hanging leg raises, substitute with hanging knee raises or captain’s chair knee raises. Do both exercises back to back. Squeeze your lower abs at the top of each reverse crunch.
- 2. Cable Crunches — use a rope attachment. Do 20 cable crunches down the center, 10 to the left, and 10 to the right per set. Choose a weight that’s difficult, but allows you to finish all of the reps.
- 3. [SUPERSET] Swiss Ball Crunches + Swiss Ball Jackknives — hold a weight behind your head for SB Crunches. Squeeze your lower abs at the top of each jackknife.
- 4. [SUPERSET] Bicycle Crunches + Ab Planks + Ab V-Ups + Flutter Kicks — do all exercises back-to-back without rest. For Flutter Kicks, keep your feet off the floor and kick them up roughly 1′.
- 5. 1/2 Turkish Get-Ups — hold a kettlebell, press up with your upper abs, and raise the kettlebell up into the air. Support yourself with your left arm.
- 6. [SUPERSET] Side Plank w/ Hip Thrust + Oblique Scissor Crunches + Russian Twists — for Side Planks, lower your hip down, tap the floor, and extend all the way back up; that’s 1 rep. For Oblique Scissor Crunches, lay on the side of your butt and crunch your torso and knees together. Touch your elbow and knee at the top of each rep and then extend all the way back down. For Russian twists, grab a light medicine ball or weight, balance on your butt, keep your core tight, and touch the floor on each side.
- 7. [HIIT] Incline Treadmill — set the treadmill at a 10% incline. Walk .1 mile at 3MPH and then run .15 miles at 10 MPH (or whatever your work interval speed). That’s 1/4 mile. Continue to alternate for 2 miles total, or 8 sets of intervals.
ELLO ELLO I'm Bryan DiSanto.
I'm the Founder & Editor-in-Chief of Lean It UP
, a CPT/CSN/Fitness Coach, Chef trained at Le Cordon Bleu – Paris, NYU graduate, ex-fat kid
, and all-around fitness junkie.
I also contribute to Men's Health Magazine
When I'm not working on my abs (or somebody else’s), whipping up avocado roses
and avocado toast, or running a Tough Mudder, I'm probably yelling at a Carolina Panthers game somewhere.
Come be friends with me on Instagram (@BRYDISANTO)
& Snapchat (BRYDISANTO)
Latest posts by Bryan DiSanto (see all)