[UPWOD Nº29] The Back & Biceps Hyper Burnout Workout
*UPWODs are Lean It UP’s Workout of the Day. For more info on UPWODs, how to do them effectively, and what they’re all about, read the introductory guide before starting.
**You can find all of our previous UPWODs here.
WE’RE BACK! After a 2 week vacation jaunt, it’s time to return to typical UPWOD domination and launch your week with a fiery vengeance.
UPWOD Nº29 is a high volume, tension-based, burnout back & biceps workout. It’s designed first and foremost to build muscular endurance, and secondly, to create explosive, skin-tightening, volcanic pumps.
Unlike most back workouts that prioritize heavy loads and pulling as much weight as possible, Nº29 switches things up, increases the rep counts, and emphasizes time under tension and exaggerated reps. Effectively, you’ll slow down each rep to amplify the burn and pump as much blood as possible into your back and biceps.
FORM TECHNIQUE: Hold the eccentric (lowering phase) of each exercise for 3 seconds.
By doing that, physiologically, it challenges and hammers your type 1 (slow-twitch) muscle fibers and actively builds muscular endurance, increases muscular stamina, and enables your body to fight fatigue down the road — especially when you prioritize heavy weights.
It’s a marathon. Focus, get back in the game, and fire away.
[UPWOD Nº29] The Back & Biceps Hyper Burnout Workout —
Back & Biceps
The grey column provides substitute exercises that you can do in-home with resistance bands (RBs) and dumbbells so that everyone can blast through the UPWODs.
If you don’t have resistance bands, I use and recommend Black Mountain’s set. If you need dumbbells, I love the Bowflex SelectTech 552 adjustable dumbbells.
**Bonus info for each exercise:
- 1. Barbell Deadlifts — standard barbell deadlifts.
- 2. Underhand Barbell Bent-Over Rows — keep your torso at a 45º angle throughout. Hold the bar with an underhand grip and lower it down to a full extension. Pull it up into your upper abs and SQUEEZE for 1 second.
- 3. [SUPERSET] Meadows Barbell Rows + T-Bar Rows — stick one end of a barbell in a land mine, the inside of a weight plate, or a corner to anchor it. For meadows rows, stand perpendicular to the bar and pull up into your rear deltoids — your lats drive the movement. For t-bar rows, stand over the center of the bar, grab it with two hands, and pull it up into your chest. SQUEEZE the contraction at the top for 1 second and release.
- 4. [SUPERSET] Barbell Biceps Curls + Dumbbell Hammer Curls — do a set of straight barbell curls. Immediately grab two dumbbells with a neutral grip and do a set of hammer curls.
- 5. Preacher Curls — do curls on a preacher bench (or use a preacher curl machine). Lower your arms down to a full extension, curl up, and SQUEEZE at the top.
- 6. [SUPERSET] Rope Hammer Curls + Single Arm Cable Curls — do a set of hammer curls with a rope attachment. Immediately switch to a handle attachment and do a set of 1-arm curls.
- 7. Incline Dumbbell Rows — set a bench to a 45º angle and lay on it face down. Hold two dumbbells with a neutral grip and row up into the side of you torso. SQUEEZE at the top for 1s and lower back down to the floor.
- 8. [BURNOUT SUPERSET] Chin Ups + Underhand Lat Pulldowns — do a set of chin ups to failure. Immediately move to a cable station and do a set of lat pulldowns with an underhand grip. If you can’t do at least 5 chin ups, swap chin ups for a set of HEAVY lat pulldowns, drop the weight, and then immediately do a second set with a lighter weight.
ELLO ELLO I'm Bryan DiSanto.
I'm the Founder & Editor-in-Chief of Lean It UP
, a CPT/CSN/Fitness Coach, Chef trained at Le Cordon Bleu – Paris, NYU graduate, ex-fat kid
, and all-around fitness junkie.
I also contribute to Men's Health Magazine
When I'm not working on my abs (or somebody else’s), whipping up avocado roses
and avocado toast, or running a Tough Mudder, I'm probably yelling at a Carolina Panthers game somewhere.
Come be friends with me on Instagram (@BRYDISANTO)
& Snapchat (BRYDISANTO)
Latest posts by Bryan DiSanto (see all)