[UPWOD Nº30] The Savage Shoulder Workout
*UPWODs are Lean It UP’s Workout of the Day. For more info on UPWODs, how to do them effectively, and what they’re all about, read the introductory guide before starting.
**You can find all of our previous UPWODs here.
ENTER SAVAGE SHOULDER MODE.
UPWOD Nº30 is a relentless, muscle-blasting shoulder and ab workout that torches the deltoids, attacks the abs, and works to add size and definition to your shoulders.
You’ll maneuver through a 1-2 punch of (1) large, compound shoulder exercises that spark mass and size gains and (2) a chain of targeted isolation exercises that demolish each individual deltoid head, including the front, lateral, and rear delts.
Because it exclusively uses supersets and drop sets, you’ll quickly crank up the burn, increase blood flow throughout your shoulders, and watch your delts sizzle as you push them to exhaustion.
The whole thing culminates with a nasty ab circuit that’ll send shockwaves through your core, tear up your midsection, and help carve out a gorgeous six-pack.
Lock in and go savage.
[UPWOD Nº30] The Savage Shoulder Workout —
Bonus info for each exercise:
- 1. [SUPERSET] Dumbbell Shoulder Press + Eccentric DB Shoulder Press — do 5 regular reps. For your next 5, lower the dumbbell for 5 seconds during each rep before pressing up (you’re exaggerating the eccentric/lowering phase).
- 2. [DROP SET] Lateral Raises — do 10 lateral raises, drop the weight by 50%, and then do 10 additional reps. That’s ONE drop set. For instance, you could do 20 lbs (x10) + 10 lbs (x10) all in one set.
- 3. [SUPERSET] Upright Rows + Front Plate Raises — do 1 set of Upright Rows. Hold the barbell with a narrow grip and pull it up to shoulder height. Immediately grab a weight plate, keep your arms straight, and do a set of Front Plate Raises. Raise the plate up to face height. Hold for 1 second at the top and lower back down.
- 4. [SUPERSET] Land Mine Twists + Land Mine Press — load one end of a barbell, hold the end with both hands, and extend it up overhead (the other side of the bar is against the floor). Keep your arms straight and slowly twist and lower the barbell down to your side. Powerfully torque, pull it up, and rotate down to the opposite side. Do 12 reps per side. Immediately grab the end of the barbell—drop the weight if necessary—and press it straight up and out.
- 5. [SUPERSET] Arnold Press + Reverse Flies — for the Arnold Press, you’ll hold the dumbbells with an underhand grip, press up, and rotate your hands over mid-way through the motion. At the top you’ll be holding the dumbbells with and overhand grip. Immediately grab 2 light dumbbells, bend over at a 45º angle, and do a set of Reverse Flies.
- 6. [CIRCUIT SET] Ab Planks + Ab V-Ups + Side Planks + Leg Lifts + Reverse Crunches + Bicycle Crunches — do all 6 exercises back to back without rest. For V-Ups, tough your toes at the top of each rep.
- 7. Cable Crunches — use a rope attachment. SQUEEZE your abs at the bottom and release all the way back up.
ELLO ELLO I'm Bryan DiSanto.
I'm the Founder & Editor-in-Chief of Lean It UP
, a CPT/CSN/Fitness Coach, Chef trained at Le Cordon Bleu – Paris, NYU graduate, ex-fat kid
, and all-around fitness junkie.
I also contribute to Men's Health Magazine
When I'm not working on my abs (or somebody else’s), whipping up avocado roses
and avocado toast, or running a Tough Mudder, I'm probably yelling at a Carolina Panthers game somewhere.
Come be friends with me on Instagram (@BRYDISANTO)
& Snapchat (BRYDISANTO)
Latest posts by Bryan DiSanto (see all)