*UPWODs are Lean It UP’s Workout of the Day. For more info on UPWODs, how to do them effectively, and what they’re all about, read the introductory guide before starting.
**You can find all of our previous UPWODs here.
Clear your head, keep it high, and light your muscles up in a fat-incinerating blaze of glory.
I LOVE shoulder workouts. They’re metabolic, hard-hitting, and turbocharged by nature. UPWOD Nº36—The Fat-Destroying, Striated Shoulder Workout—stretches that to the extreme, as it’s one of the most strenuous workouts we’ve put together to-date.
You will be dead and collapse afterwards.
Nº36 uses a concept known as Postactivation Potentiation (PAP) to stimulate the central nervous system (CNS), ignite stored fat, and viciously attack the shoulders.
By performing dumbbell snatches early in the workout—a heavy, explosive movement—it lights up the CNS and primes your body to lift more explosively and more powerfully for the remainder of the workout. That’s PAP in action — starting heavy as a “warm-up” and using that momentum to enhance all of the lifting that comes after it.
Altogether, you’ll methodically blow up the entirety of your shoulders, including all 3 heads of the delts, to stimulate new muscle growth, build strength, carve out lean definition and striations, and elicit a strong HIIT effect that burns major calories and body fat.
Get it in and go HAM.
[UPWOD Nº36] The Fat-Destroying, Striated Shoulder Workout
The grey column provides substitute exercises that you can do in-home with resistance bands (RBs) and dumbbells so that everyone can blast through the UPWODs.
If you don’t have resistance bands, I use and recommend Black Mountain’s set. If you need dumbbells, I love the Bowflex SelectTech 552 adjustable dumbbells.
**Bonus info for each exercise:
- 1. [SUPERSET] Face Pulls + Reverse Cable Flies (1-Arm) — set up a cable station with a rope attachment as high as possible. Pull it out into your face (the rope ends should be at neck height) and hold for 1 second. For Reverse Cable Flies, stand with the stack next to you and grab the cable with your far hand. Pull it across your chest to a full extension and contract your rear delt. Return back slowly.
- 2. Dumbbell Snatches — hold a HEAVY dumbbell in between your legs with an overhand grip. Dip down and powerfully swing the dumbbell up overhead in 1 explosive motion. Hold it for 1 second up top and release back down. You should only be able to do 6-8 reps per arm.
- 3. Dumbbell Shoulder Press — do these seated. Lower the dumbbells down until your triceps are slightly below parallel with the floor.
- 4. [SUPERSET] Front Raises + Lateral Raises + Reverse Flies — do all 3 with dumbbells back-t0-back without rest. For Reverse Flies, lower your torso down to 45º.
- 5. Kettlebell Swings — use 1 arm and swing the kettlebell up to face height.
- 6. Medicine Ball Slams — raise a medicine ball up overhead and then slam it down, squatting slightly. Continue to slam for 50 reps.
- 7. Barbell Shoulder Press — do these standing. Use a light weight and pump out 15-20 reps.