*UPWODs are Lean It UP’s Workout of the Day. For more info on UPWODs, how to do them effectively, and what they’re all about, read the introductory guide before starting.
**You can find all of our previous UPWODs here.
We’re back for week 2 with UPWOD Nº5.
Monday is the most important day of the week. Get into that mindset. It’s how you set the tone and launch the week in front of you on an uber-productive, positive, sweat-inducing note.
As I typically say, it’s a dope day to have a dope day. Don’t fear Mondays, embrace them. It’s a fresh, wide-open opportunity to improve yourself, re-focus, and get better.
Forget about everything that happened over the weekend or during the week prior, for better or worse. We all make mistakes and do things we would’ve liked to do better or differently; and on the opposite end, have a tendency to get complacent when we’re successful.
Work to start new and combat both.
Start BIG, sweat BIG, lift BIG, and you’ll see the results compound exponentially as the week progresses. Take advantage.
To help kickstart and ignite your week, we’re unleashing a kickass leg workout that finishes with an incline HIIT grand finale. It’s the perfect way to tear up your muscles, open up the sweat floodgates, prime your body for explosive growth, and absolutely incinerate fat while you’re doing it.
And BONUS POINTS, crushing legs and HIIT is the best way to power detox from any weekend debauchery, because life’s about balance and having fun, too.
Jump into the fire. Work hard, play hard, sweat hard. We’ve got LEGS ON DECK.
UPWOD Nº5 — Legs & Incline HIIT
**Bonus info for each exercise:
- 1. [SUPERSET] Barbell Squats + Wide-Stance Barbell Squats — do 12 barbell squats per usual. Immediately step out wide with each foot and do 12 more squats with a wide stance. The wide stance emphasizes the glutes.
- 2. Barbell Romanian Deadlifts — maintain a slight bend in your knees. Maintain that position and slide the barbell down as far as possible. Use your butt and hamstrings to pull the barbell back up.
- 3. Goblet Squats — keep the dumbbell up at face height throughout.
- 4. Bulgarian Split Squats — hold dumbbells in both hands and keep one foot up on a bench. Make sure your knee and toes are aligned for the lunging leg.
- 5. [SUPERSET] Box Jumps + Weighted Hip Thrusts — do 20 box jumps per usual. Immediately place your lower back on the box and do 15 hip thrusts. Hold a kettlebell, dumbbell, or barbell on your pelvis for the hip thrusts (make sure it’s positioned safely).
- 6. [BURNOUT] Leg Extensions — use the leg extension machine and choose a weight that lets you do at least 12 reps. Pump out as many as possible until failure. Repeat for a second set.
- 7. [HIIT] Incline Treadmill Cardio — set the treadmill at a 10% incline. Alternate 45 second intervals at 3 MPH and 10 MPH. If 10 MPH is too fast at any point, feel free to set your “work” interval to an appropriate speed that’s safe.