[UPWOD Nº9] The Fat-Bursting Leg & Butt Workout — Lower Body
*UPWODs are Lean It UP’s Workout of the Day. For more info on UPWODs, how to do them effectively, and what they’re all about, read the introductory guide before starting.
**You can find all of our previous UPWODs here.
We’re doubling down with a double dose of leg day.
Finish your week strong with UPWOD Nº9, a hard-hitting, fat-bursting leg workout. It’s your second leg day of the week, but the format and execution are significantly different; this time, you’re incorporating movement and velocity.
Instead of focusing primarily on heavy, strength-oriented barbell movements, UPWOD Nº9 uses fast-paced dumbbell and bodyweight exercises to pump up your heart rate, waterfall sweat, and burnout your legs until they’re searing with lactic acid and wobbly like Jell-O.
Move through the workout as quickly as possible and focus heavily on speed, explosiveness, and range of motion. You’ll immediately see a spike in intensity that won’t let up until you’re finished.
Keep up with the relentless assault, though, and you’ll actively burn fat and stimulate fresh new growth throughout your legs and butt.
Finish week 2 with intensity.
[UPWOD Nº9] The Fat-Bursting Leg & Butt Workout —
**Bonus info for each exercise:
- 1. Mountain Climbers — these are a quick warm-up to get your muscles loose. Move as quickly as possible.
- 2. Goblet Squats — hold the dumbbell up at neck height throughout. Lower down until your quads are below parallel.
- 3. [SUPERSET] Side Lunges + Medicine Ball Slams — do 12 side lunges per side. Sit down into your butt and keep your torso upright. Immediately grab a medicine ball and do 20 slams. Powerfully throw the ball into the ground, squat down low, and repeat.
- 4. 2-Way Dumbbell Lunges — these are standard dumbbell lunges, except that you’ll do 8 reps forward and 8 reps back per leg. Effectively, you’re doing 8 regular lunges and 8 reverse lunges per leg.
- 5. [SUPERSET] Box Jumps + Air Squats — for box jumps, choose a box that’s an appropriate height. For air squats, use your bodyweight, squat down as low as possible, hold 1 second, and explode back up.
- 6. [SUPERSET] 1-Leg Romanian Deadlifts + Dumbbell Sumo Deadlifts — for 1-leg romanian deadlifts, use a dumbbell or kettlebell, keep one leg straight, and slowly lower the weight down to the floor. Kick you back leg out and keep your core tight. For sumo deadlifts, hold a dumbbell or kettlebell and move into a WIDE stance. Squat down into your butt as low as possible until the dumbbell hits the floor.
- 7. [BURNOUT] Bulgarian Split Squats — use a light weight and place one leg on top of a bench. Move quickly and lower down to a full extension on the way down. Press up through your butt.
ELLO ELLO I'm Bryan DiSanto.
I'm the Founder & Editor-in-Chief of Lean It UP
, a CPT/CSN/Fitness Coach, Chef trained at Le Cordon Bleu – Paris, NYU graduate, ex-fat kid
, and all-around fitness junkie.
I also contribute to Men's Health Magazine
When I'm not working on my abs (or somebody else’s), whipping up avocado roses
and avocado toast, or running a Tough Mudder, I'm probably yelling at a Carolina Panthers game somewhere.
Come be friends with me on Instagram (@BRYDISANTO)
& Snapchat (BRYDISANTO)
Latest posts by Bryan DiSanto (see all)